Sunday, May 3, 2009

Livin in the Real World

My brother wrote a song about our contemporary situation. I love the lyrics:

-----------------------

Livin in the Real World - Kevin Tye

Kissed my wife, said I'd be back soon. Left a bottle in the baby's room.
Drove to work as the sun broke through. My job's leavin, don't know what I'll do.
Later came the even'n news. Said rich man's debts bein' paid by you.

But I don't care what the TV says. I'll just listen to my preacher instead.
Cause I don't buy what I can't afford. I just pay the bills and then thank the Lord.

I'm livin in the real world.
Just down the road from you, packin' up the kids for school.
I'm livin in the real world.
Tryin' to keep the Golden Rule, and I've got a mortgage due.
I'm livin in the real world.

Baby's cough's got me worried too. Health insurance just ran out in June.
Older son's got college soon. Heard tuition's goin' through the roof.
Then I heard on the even'n news, that bankers win, and poor folks lose.

But I don't care what the TV says...
I'm livin in the real world...

They say work hard and you'll achieve. But we let them steal the American Dream.
Or so it seems... Or so it seems...

I'm livin in the real world
Throwin kisses to my little girl. I've always loved her braids and curls.
She's why I'm livin in the real world.

---------------------------

You can listen to the music on his homepage. Click on the music tab.

No comments: